Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Chablis-Drinking Liberal Elitist

The other day, a friend called me an elitist ‘chablis-drinking’ liberal.  

As much as I appreciate his comment, I really needed to set him straight.  I told him I don’t particularly care for chablis.  Much of what passes for ‘chablis’ in this country is just generic white wine - hardly worth using for cooking.  True chablis is grown and made exclusively in the Chablis subregion in the Burgundy region of France.  Though it uses the same grapes as white burgundy, it isn’t aged in oak, so it is missing the complexity that adds appeal to other white burgundy.  

But actually, I usually lean more toward the deep, righ reds anyway … mourvedre, well-blended cabernet, or tempranillo, for example.  

My friend thanked me, then suddenly pointed at his watch and said, ‘Hey, look at the time!  Gotta run!’

It’s good we had this talk - was happy to help my friend with his misperception.  This is just the kind of dialogue that can help gain understanding, and bridge the divides in our polarized society.  

No comments:

Post a Comment